About Me

My photo
I have discovered that walking a very narrow path leads to broad places of peace, contentment, and provision. I work as a freelance consultant in the areas of cultural heritage, public history and museums, From 2009-2016, I was the executive director of the Bolduc House Museum in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, (now called New France - the OTHER Colonial America, an eighteenth century French colonial historic site and National Historic Landmark.) My PhD is from the University of Leicester's (United Kingdom) Department of Museum Studies. My research looked at the interpretation of diversity at the American Historic House Museum. I also developed and facilitate an inspirational program for Christian grandparents, Gathering Grandparents.

Friday, February 03, 2017

Called to Write? Don't Know How? by Lesley Barker - New book launching!

DIGITAL_BOOK_THUMBNAIL (116×184)It seems that God is assigning people to write books who have no writing experience. Perhaps this is because these people have been given spiritual understanding that the rest of us need now. Several people have approached me, recently, for advice with the statement, "God has called me to write a book but I don't know how." At first I envied the assignments, going to God in person to ask why He was telling other people to write books but not telling me which books to work on, called, as I have been for many years, to write. (Even in second grade, if asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have said I wanted to be a writer.) So, as is normal with God, He answered - the Scriptural answer would be: "Dummy, you have not (a book writing assignment) because you have not asked for one before now." Oh. And then He further answered, as He often does, with a picture. I saw myself pulling a scroll out of something I know to be mine to handle and presenting it to the woman who, most recently, asked me to help her. It became a short but practical booklet that explains the book-writing process using the three phases that Dorothy Sayers juxtaposed with the members of the Christian Trinity: "the book as thought", "the book as written", and "the book as read". The booklet is meant to be used during the writing process. It does not prescribe specific details about how to do anything. Rather, it goes step by step through the process, identifying the decisions and choices that need to be made and it includes frequent "Pauses to Pray and Reflect" so that the whole experience becomes a collaboration with that holiest muse, the Holy Spirit, Himself. Get it for your kindle e-reader here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7Y81H5. And, please, if you know anyone who is called to write a book but does not know how to do it, share this resource with them! Thanks.

By Lesley Barker

No comments:

Post a Comment