About Me

My photo
I have discovered that walking a very narrow path leads to broad places of peace, contentment, and provision. I work as a freelance consultant in the areas of cultural heritage, public history and museums, From 2009-2016, I was the executive director of the Bolduc House Museum in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, (now called New France - the OTHER Colonial America, an eighteenth century French colonial historic site and National Historic Landmark.) My PhD is from the University of Leicester's (United Kingdom) Department of Museum Studies. My research looked at the interpretation of diversity at the American Historic House Museum. I also developed and facilitate an inspirational program for Christian grandparents, Gathering Grandparents.

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

#WhyIwriteFiction


"Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - Tennessee Williams in The Glass Menagerie

When I was challenged to write a book about abused pastor's wives by a friend who had escaped such a marriage, I felt it would be more effective to make it fiction. This has seemed to work. My friends who have read Pastor's Ex-Wife have consistently reported that the book has "opened" their hearts. It is a serious book about a timely and horrible issue made even more relevant by the #metoo movement.

I would love people to read and reflect back on this book. Does it open your heart? How? Does other fiction do that? When and why? Does Pastor's Ex-Wife ring true to you? Could you #metoo about something that happened at a church or by a member of the clergy? Do you think it crosses boundaries? Does it violate scripture or offend Christians or does it open an unhealed wound that has grown somewhat gangrene? Could this become a movie?

c. 2018
By Lesley Barker


No comments:

Post a Comment